Monday, August 10, 2009

Big Bear Ultra




Big Bear Ultra was sweeet. Rode 80% cruisin with Liew and Bala, and then the last bit cranking it out to the sounds from my ipod. Lots of sick new trails, tight and gnarly...fast and flowy...fast and rocky, brims, pines, mud, roots, rocks.

Felt good, felt bad, good again, tunes, funny stuff, Bala wrecking, Liew wrecking, me wrecking...


Left the last aid station with Bala...flew down to the lower expert loop at Mach 2, Bala dropped me climbing outta that hole, and I was so stoked about the last section, the stupid fast flowy trail before the mega downhill...I dont think I've ever taken that as fast as I did. I suppose it was equal parts, having a blast, being comfortable on the bike after having been on it for so long, and wanting to get to the beer at the finish...but man was it sick. Climbed outta the creek bed, hit the last lil pull hard...and was headed out!


Coming to the finished I was so stoked to be done, feeling like I rode hard and coming in under 6 hours, that I got a little overboard on the last section, and totally wrapped myself around a tree, and then planted myself firmly in the ground. I had not had such a high speed wreck in a while...whew! My hand, and shoulder took most of the hit, and my hand is swollen like crazy...which is why this post is shorter than it should be...note in the picture my twisted bars and not-so-in-place helmet when i finished. I wrecked so close to the finish that i just rode in the way i got up off the ground...luckily it happened just up in the woods so no one saw me....Laura saw me just after tho as i was shakily getting off the ground...laughing and somewhat delerious...


That was tough...50 miles is one thing, 50 miles of single track only, at Big Bear...that is full on...

Race was sick, thanks to Mark for putting it on, all those who worked on the trails, and of course to all the sponsors...the food and refreshments after were just outstanding.

Hopefully we hear from my Ultra riding partners soon...

No comments: